How to Donate
Donations are the foundation of our business. At the New Hamburg Thrift Centre we do not purchase items or sell anything on consignment. We rely on the generosity of our supporters to bring us their clean, saleable items. (Click here for a listing of the types of items we sell.)
Please do not leave your donations outside after hours!
This creates a fire hazard and if the weather is bad, wet and damaged items are thrown away. We want to utilize your valuable items.
We need your help! Help us to effectively use the volunteer time we receive.
Sort your items carefully to separate broken items, recyclables, soiled items, etc. Our backdoor receivers will refuse items that are unclean or non-saleable. Please no yard sale stickers! It is too time consuming to remove stickers or masking tape often baked on by the sun.
Our volunteers can quickly sort your donations if similar items are bagged together e.g. all shoes together, all toys together, etc. Smaller bags with one type of item are better than one large garbage bag.
Bring your donations to the New Hamburg Thrift Centre at 41 Heritage Drive, New Hamburg, just off Bleams Road near McDonalds. Click here for directions. We have a receiving dock at the rear of the building. Ring the buzzer during our store and receiving hours to be greeted by a helpful volunteer.
ITEMS WE DO ACCEPT
- Clothing, shoes, boots, jewellery, purses
- Furniture*, bed frames, mattresses*, boxsprings*, lamps, area carpets, desks, mirrors, pictures and picture frames
- Houseware items, pots & pans, kitchen utensils, bedding, toweling, home décor, glassware, house plants, knick-knacks
- Small appliances* (televisions, toasters, blenders, etc.)
- Books, stationery, school supplies, toys, games, VHS & DVDs, musical instruments
- Craft supplies, fabric, notions, yarn, sewing supplies
- Sporting goods (skates, skis, skateboards, balls, bats), bikes, exercise equipment
- Antiques, collectables, clocks
- Seasonal items and decorations (Christmas, Halloween, etc.) Please note: Christmas trees are not accepted until September
- Tools, hardware, lawn & garden equipment
- Et cetera!
ITEMS WE DO NOT ACCEPT
Due to health regulations and disposal fees we are unable to accept the following items:
- Baby equipment (cribs, car seats, booster seats designed for a car, bath rings, baby gates, baby walkers, teethers, soothers, pacifiers, etc.)
- Large appliances (refrigerator, stove, freezer, air conditioner, washer, dryers, dishwashers, etc.)
- Telephones or telephone equipment (fax machines, answering machines, etc.)
- Pianos or organs
- Helmets (of any kind)
- Blinds, curtain rods, drapery hardware
- Egg cartons
- Building materials
- Automotive parts
* We can not accept items that are ripped, stained, or contain pet hair.
* All small appliances must be in good working condition.
Televisions can not be more than 5 years old. (Check plate on back of television for manufacture date.